This process of registration is now online and has to be done on the E-Citizen platform. How To Do A Business Name Search On eCitizen
The Company Registry requires that a name search be conducted and approved before the registration process of any local business. Business name reservations are done online through the e citizen portal.
The Business Name is the simplest business form under which one can operate a business. The Business Name is not a legal entity. It simply refers to a person who owns the business and is personally responsible for its debts.
Before you perform a name search it is important to note the following,
- Business with the word “Enterprises” at the end cannot use Initials e.g J.K and Brian Enterprises
- Names with the word “Foundation” must be registered as Companies limited by guarantee
- Names with “Groups”, “projects” and “Holdings” must be limited. (Ahadi group limited)
- Names with “Universities” must be limited. (Ahadi university limited)
- Single words are not accepted (Ahadi)
- Offensive or abusive words are not allowed either. Offensive words in vernacular (mother tongue) are not allowed either.
- Political names e.g (Nairobi youth alliance) are not allowed
- Numerics are not allowed not unless its the current year eg (2015)
- Names starting with the word “Kenya” are only reserved for the government.
- Names with ‘Church’ and ‘Ministry or Ministries’ are not allowed
- Names with “Trust”, “Foundation”, Programmes are not allowed
- The Registrar of Names does not register clubs
- Names with “Relief” are not allowed
- Names with “welfare”, Organization, Association, are not allowed.
Steps to start business name search:
- Visit: https://ecitizen.go.ke/
- Sign in using you user name and password (ensure that you are registered in the portal)
- Click “Office of the Attorney General” to gain access to business name search and registration section.
How To Do A Business Name Search On eCitizen
- Log in to the eCitizen portal https://accounts.ecitizen.go.ke/login or create an account first if you don’t have one.
- Go to Business Registration Service and click get service
- Click on make application.
- Click on name search, business/company option.
- Read the instructions provided carefully before proceeding.
- Click on apply now.
- Choose the business entity then enter the name you want to search.
- Provide a short description about your business or what it entails then click on proceed.
- Review your application to confirm that you have correctly filled in the required details.
- Submit your application.
- You will then be required to make a payment, Kshs 150 which is the fee charged.
- You can choose your preferred method of payment. Mpesa is the best method.
- After making the payment, wait for a response from the Registrar of companies.
- The whole process takes one day to complete.
Only one name to be submitted per application. applications with more than one name search will be rejected. Modifying an existing business name is not allowed. eg. Adding Africa, Kenya, East Africa or changing the spelling eg Exotic to Ezotic or Esotic. Business names will only be processed from Monday to Friday between 8am to 5pm excluding public holidays. Applications without appropriate passport photos will be rejected.
Was this article helpful?