Hakikisha is a service for all M-PESA customers that will enable them to confirm the name of the person they are transferring money to on M-PESA before completing the transaction. It also allows you to confirm the name of the agent when withdrawing money from your MPESA account * The service will also be available for Pay Bill (payment) and deposits for M-PESA agents.
Customers will automatically be opted into the service which is free. However, normal M-PESA charges apply as per the M-PESA tariff.
Customers will automatically be opted into the service and do not need to do a menu update.
You will be able to use the service wherever you can roam. However, you will only be able to cash in / cash out your M-PESA balance at M-PESA Agent outlets in Kenya.
The system will automatically enable the service as soon as you reactivate your M-PESA account using your current M-PESA PIN.
Dial *234# to opt out. You will still be able to transact on M-PESA without confirming the name.
Please note that other customers will also not be able to confirm your name when you opt out of the service.
To stop any wrong transaction, send any letter or number within 25 seconds. Pressing cancel, dismiss or close will NOT stop the transaction.
The service will work on most handsets, however there may be a few phones that may have challenges accepting the service.
- Hakikisha is a service that allows M-PESA customers to confirm the recipient’s name and/or number, before completing a transaction.
- This service is available for all customers, on all handsets.
- Hakikisha allows customers to confirm that the recipients they intend to send money to, are correct, before completing the transaction.
- By confirming these details, customers avoid losing funds by sending money to unintended/the wrong recipients.
Is Hakikisha available for all transactions?
Customers can use Hakikisha for the following transactions:
- Send Money, Depositing and/or Withdrawal from an M-PESA Agent ,Paybill transactions, Lipa na M-PESA – merchant and paybill transactions.
The following details can be confirmed by customers using Hakikisha:
- Send Money – Recipients name and number, transaction amount and transaction cost.
- M-PESA deposit and withdrawal at agent – M-PESA Agent number, name and deposit amount.
- Paybill transactions – Partner name, paybill number, account number, transaction amount and transaction cost.
- Buy goods transactions – Merchants name, till number, transaction amount and transaction cost.
Which Transaction Channels is Hakikisha available on?
M-PESA customers can use Hakikisha on the various transaction channels:
- M-PESA APP.
- mySafaricom APP
- M-PESA Sim Tool Kit
- M-PESA USSD (*334#)
Was this article helpful?