Building emotional intelligence is an essential piece of personal development that dictates how you engage with other people. Emotional intelligence is essential to strengthening your interpersonal skills and is a toolbox people use to conduct business, negotiate difficult situations, and interact with friends, family, colleagues, and strangers on a daily basis. Here are some reasons why this is an important skill to develop:
- 1. Emotional intelligence helps you develop a good sense of self. People who are high in emotional intelligence exude self-confidence. They are in touch with and trust their emotions and are able to communicate their feelings to others.
- 2. Social intelligence helps develop healthy relationships. People with high emotional intelligence have exceptional social skills and are able to build and maintain healthy relationships with others. They are able to express their point of view while taking the other person’s feelings into consideration as well.
- 3. Employers look for emotionally intelligent people. High emotional intelligence is often associated with better decision-making and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work independently and with coworkers. As a result, emotional intelligence is a quality employers look for when hiring. Some companies have prospective employees take an emotional intelligence test to gauge future job performance.
- 4. Emotional intelligence is a leadership trait. A high EQ is a quality that effective leaders possess. It allows you to effectively communicate with your team—both when it comes to sharing your thoughts and ideas as well as when you’re listening.
- 5. Emotional intelligence leads to a well-balanced life. People who demonstrate a lack of emotional intelligence often speak before thinking and act impulsively. Emotional intelligence helps people navigate stressful situations without getting overwhelmed by strong emotions. The ability to control emotions supports mental health and wellbeing.