Windows has been keeping track of how your laptop’s battery is doing since it was installed. The report, which you can run using just two command prompt commands, will show how many cycles you’ve used on your battery and how it’s been used in the past three days. It will also give you a picture of what Windows estimates your battery life should be versus what it actually is. This is How to run a battery life report on your Windows laptop
So if you’re curious about your battery status or you’ve been noticing that your battery life has been a bit of a drag lately and are wondering if it’s due to neglect or some power virus on your computer sucking back a bunch of juice, this report should let you know.
Batteries power our favorite electronic devices, but they’re not meant to last forever. The good news is that Windows 10 laptops have a Battery Report feature that breaks down whether your battery is still kicking or is on its last legs. With a few simple commands, you can generate an HTML file with battery usage data, capacity history, and life estimates. If it needs to be replaced, this report will tell you, long before it has a chance to fail.
- First, open the Command Prompt tool. To do that, you can search “CMD” from the Start menu, and click on Command Prompt to open it.
- The report will be spit out as an HTML file, so we’ll want to make sure it’s easy to find. To do that, type in:
- This command simply navigates your current directory to your desktop, so when you generate the report, you can find it there.
- To generate the report, type:
- This runs the powerconfig tool and tells it to spit out a battery report, which should now be sitting on your desktop as an HTML file.
- Double-click the file to open it up in your browser (or it might ask you which program you want to open the file in, which would be your browser). Now you can see all of that sweet, sweet battery information.
If you’re an Apple user who’s feeling left out, don’t worry: macOS lets you access some battery information, too, though there isn’t as much historical data. To see it, go to the Apple menu in the top left, and click “About This Mac.” Then click the System Report button, and under Hardware, go to Power. There, you can see the cycle count of your battery, its estimated health, and all of your current power settings. To see your battery usage graphs over the past 24 hours or 10 days, go to System Preferences and then Battery.
How to create energy report with Command Prompt
To generate an energy report on Windows 10, use these steps:
- Open Start.
- Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.
- Type the following command to create an energy report and press Enter:
- (Optional) Type the following command to generate an energy report with a specific duration and press Enter:
powercfg /energy /duration SECONDSIn the command, replaces SECONDS with the time you want the tool to monitor the power behavior to create a report. If you do no use the duration option, then the command will run for 60 seconds.For example, this command runs the energy monitor for two minutes:
powercfg /energy /duration 120
- Confirm the output to determine the location of the report.
Once you complete the steps, you can review the report to understand the energy and battery efficiency to investigate and resolve power problems on Windows 10.
When generating an energy report, it is always recommended to use the command when no application is running, and the device is in idle mode for the best results. battery life report on your Windows