Expedited Passport Delivery in the US. Routine processing is 8 to 11 weeks and expedite processing (for an additional $60) is 5 to 7 weeks. Our processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply for a passport at a local acceptance facility. Passports. Thousands of Post Offices™ accept first-time passport applications for the U.S. Department of State. Most of those locations can also take your passport photo.
If you need your passport faster for emergency travel or another special case, you can send your passport application via Priority Mail Express® service and pay the State Department fee for faster delivery.
If you need to travel within 72 hours (3 business days) for an immediate family member who is dead, dying, or has a life-threatening illness or injury:
- Visit the Life-or-Death Emergencies page on travel.state.gov to learn if you are eligible.
- The State Department processes these requests by appointment only.
- Your appointment date must be within 72 hours (3 business days) of travel.
If you are traveling in less than 10 weeks, you must call the State Department Passport Agency to schedule an appointment:
- You can call 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) to schedule an appointment.
- Your appointment date must be within 72 hours (3 business days) of travel, and you must provide proof of travel.
Note: An extremely limited number of appointments are available for customers who are traveling internationally in the next 72 hours (3 business days), and other restrictions apply.
Get My Passport Fast
If you pay an additional $60 for expedited service and mail it with Priority Mail Express, you can get your renewed passport within 10 weeks.
- Check your eligibility under Renew Your Passport by Mail, Step 1: Check Your Eligibility to Renew by Mail.
- Prepare your application as listed under Renew a Passport by Mail, Step 2: Prepare Your Application Package.
- Add these special fees, both payable to the U.S. Department of State, to your regular processing fees.
- $60.00—Expedited application processing at the State Department
- $18.32—1- to 2-day delivery service for faster return shipping to you from the State Department
- Clearly mark “EXPEDITE” on the outside of the envelope.
- Ship your application to the State Department by Priority Mail Express. Cost varies by location.
Get My Passport Fast
You can check your status online using our Online Passport Status System
. It may take 2 weeks from the day you apply until your application status is “In Process.” During these 2 weeks, your application is delivered to a mail facility, your payment is processed, and your application is scanned and sent to us. If your passport status update says “Not Available,” your application and supporting documents are safely on their way to us.
Was this article helpful?